We’re here to help.

Our compassionate and knowledgeable team is here to address your unique needs and provide the best possible care for your child’s neurodevelopmental journey.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

We are here to equip learners with the essentials skills needed to create positive change in the lives of people with developmental differences.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Our goal is to unlock discoveries that will revolutionize the lives of individuals with autism and other neurodevelopmental diagnoses.

Learn more

Researchers & Studies

Join A Study

We’re here to help.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Learn more

Thompson Center for Autism & Neurodevelopment

205 Portland Street, Columbia, MO 65211

573-884-6052

December 8, 2020

Thompson Center Staff Spotlight: Meet Kayla Scherer

By Emily Morrison

The Thompson Center prides itself on providing the highest level of care to its clinic patient families.

a picture of kayla scherer

While passionate and caring expert providers and trainees at the Thompson Center do amazing work in the evaluation and treatment of patients, achieving the highest levels of care would not be possible without the hard work of the Thompson Center front desk staff. In the next few weeks, we’ll be highlighting some of the amazing clinic staff who keep things running in the clinic like a well-oiled machine.

What’s your name?

My name is Kayla Scherer.

Where did you grow up?

I was born in Elkhart, Indiana. I lived in Michigan for a short while with my mom and then moved back to Indiana until I finished school. I moved to Missouri and was here for a couple of years, then moved back to Indiana. I’ve been back in Missouri to stay since May 2019.

What is your position at the Thompson Center?

I am a Patient Service Representative at the Thompson Center.

How long have you worked at the Thompson Center?

I have been with the Thompson Center for a year and a half. On July 15, it will be two years!

What is your role at the Thompson Center?

On a normal daily basis, I’m the one that opens everything up, from unlocking the doors to unlocking the cabinets. The next stage is I start greeting, checking in, verifying all patient demographics, updating insurance information, collecting co-pays, issuing receipts, and giving our patients paperwork to fill out. I also help with checking them out and scheduling follow-up appointments. I also scan in patient records. I put each page into the correct category and print out labels for each one. I also send out follow-up letters to families. In between these tasks I take many phone calls from our patients, pharmacies, schools, and many other places.

What is your favorite thing about working at the Thompson Center?

I love being here to help the kiddos in need. Seeing the smiles on their faces melts my heart! I also love seeing some of our regular kiddos!