We’re here to help.

Our compassionate and knowledgeable team is here to address your unique needs and provide the best possible care for your child’s neurodevelopmental journey.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

We are here to equip learners with the essentials skills needed to create positive change in the lives of people with developmental differences.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Our goal is to unlock discoveries that will revolutionize the lives of individuals with autism and other neurodevelopmental diagnoses.

Learn more

Researchers & Studies

Join A Study

We’re here to help.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Learn more

Thompson Center for Autism & Neurodevelopment

205 Portland Street, Columbia, MO 65211

573-884-6052

May 6, 2021

Nursing Spotlight: Meet Lizzie Heaton

By Emily Morrison
a picture of Lizzie Heaton

What’s your name?
Lizzie Heaton

Where did you grow up?
Boonville, MO

What is your position at the Thompson Center?
Nurse Clinician

How long have you worked at the Thompson Center?
Two months

What is your role at the Thompson Center?
As a registered nurse, I spend a lot of my time educating families on diagnoses, medication, and various therapies. I also work with Shawna to manage our medically complex clinic. As a member of the Fantastic Four, I love collaborating with the other nurse clinician (Shawna) and our two amazing social workers (Shelby + Judy) to provide families with the resources and services they need. We really go to bat for our families and being an advocate for them is the most rewarding part of my job.

What got you interested in autism?
I have always loved working in pediatrics and this role has allowed me to expand my abilities and be involved in many different projects. I love that our clinic serves such a variety of individuals; It is not just limited to those with autism. I’m also learning so much about developmental pediatrics.

What is your favorite thing about working at the Thompson Center?
So many things! I come from the NICU and the Thompson Center has a NICU follow-up clinic every Wednesday. I have gotten to visit with so many babies that I previously cared for. Reuniting with these families and seeing the progress that they have made always makes for a great day. I also love the opportunities for growth and involvement – this center allows me to dip my feet in the water of just about anything! Last but not least, I get to work with Shawna every single day. If you know, you know.