We’re here to help.

Our compassionate and knowledgeable team is here to address your unique needs and provide the best possible care for your child’s neurodevelopmental journey.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

We are here to equip learners with the essentials skills needed to create positive change in the lives of people with developmental differences.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Our goal is to unlock discoveries that will revolutionize the lives of individuals with autism and other neurodevelopmental diagnoses.

Learn more

Researchers & Studies

Join A Study

We’re here to help.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Learn more

Thompson Center for Autism & Neurodevelopment

205 Portland Street, Columbia, MO 65211

573-884-6052

March 15, 2022

Social Work Spotlight: Shelby Beckman

By Emily Morrison

March 15 is World Social Work Day! Having a social worker is an important part of the multidisciplinary care the Thompson Center offers its patients. Shelby Beckman is the full-time social worker on our staff. Read more to learn about her role at the Thompson Center!

Social work practicum student Brittany Williams (left) and Thompson Center social worker Shelby Beckman (right)

How long have you worked for the Thompson Center?

I have been with the Thompson Center for three years.

What are your main job duties at the Thompson Center?

I help families get connected with needed resources. I work with families in our medical clinics and post autism diagnosis. I am also Social Work and Self Advocate faculty for TIPS 4 Kids.

Where are you from?

I grew up in Quincy, Illinois and currently live in Columbia, Missouri.

What is your educational background?

I have a master’s degree in social work from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

What did you do before you came to the Thompson Center?

I was finishing up my master’s degree. This is my first job out of graduate school.

What is your favorite thing about working at the Thompson Center?

My favorite thing about working at the Thompson Center is the patients and families that I work with.

What got you interested in working with people with autism?

I was interested in working with people with autism because I want to help individuals gain access to needed services and supports.  

What do you wish more people knew about social work?

Social work is a versatile job and can be found in many different settings!

What is the most valuable thing you’ve learned in your time working at the Thompson Center?

The most valuable thing that I learned at the Thompson Center is the importance of family-centered care. I love that I work with a team of nurses, doctors, psychologists, and psychiatrists that works to treat the variety of needs in each situation. 

When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing?

I love to crochet and send time outdoors.