We’re here to help.

Our compassionate and knowledgeable team is here to address your unique needs and provide the best possible care for your child’s neurodevelopmental journey.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

We are here to equip learners with the essentials skills needed to create positive change in the lives of people with developmental differences.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Our goal is to unlock discoveries that will revolutionize the lives of individuals with autism and other neurodevelopmental diagnoses.

Learn more

Researchers & Studies

Join A Study

We’re here to help.

Learn more

Teaching for a stronger community.

Learn more

Researching for a better tomorrow.

Learn more

Thompson Center for Autism & Neurodevelopment

205 Portland Street, Columbia, MO 65211

573-884-6052

July 23, 2024

New Provider Spotlight: Dr. July Jean Cuevas

By Emily Morrison

July Jean Cuevas, MD, FAAP, is the newest developmental-behavioral pediatrician to join the Thompson Center’s medical team. Get to know Dr. Jean through our latest interview with her.

What got you interested in working with autism and neurodevelopment?

I did not know that developmental and behavioral pediatrics was a specialty in pediatrics, until I started residency. I felt an immediate connection with the first patient with autism I saw as a resident. I wanted to communicate with this child who seemed so immerse in his own world. I wanted to be able to understand him and individuals like him. I was curious about developmental progress and how the developmental trajectory of a child can impact the child, their family, their education, their learning, and their social and emotional well-being.

What is your educational background?

I went to medical school in my home country of Dominican Republic. After graduating as a physician, I worked at a foundation treating children with congenital heart disease. At the same time, I was teaching theoretical lectures and practice labs in my Alma Mater’s medical and dental school, in the areas of anatomy, histology and embryology. After a few years, I came to the USA to pursue specialty training. I completed pediatric residency at Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, in the South Bronx, in NY. After graduating, I entered developmental-behavioral pediatrics fellowship at Children’s Mercy in Kansas City. After 3 years of training and graduating I stayed as a faculty member for about 6 years.

Where did you work before joining the Thompson Center team?

I was at Children’s Mercy Kansas City for a total of 9 years, where I met incredible patients and families, who have been the greatest teachers.

What are you most looking forward to about your new role at the Thompson Center?

I’m looking forward to getting to know new patients and families and partner with them in their journey, learning about community resources and partnerships, and being part of trainees’ and students’ learning processes as I also learn from them.

When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing?

I enjoy listening to music, visiting family and friends in my home country, the Dominican Republic, and going on outings with my husband, Patrick, and our daughter, Luna.

Anything else you’d like to share?

I feel so blessed to be part of the Thompson Center. I have felt so welcome by everyone I have met so far. The energy, enthusiasm, and genuine care that I have encountered at the Thompson Center is invaluable.